Thursday, June 20, 2019

Kulikarai - A Short Story


Vasudevan was sitting nervously in his 2nd AC coach seat. He was shaking his head left and right every five minutes or so. Not that he was disapproving anything in particular but he gained this habit recently and his wife admonished him on several occasions for this habit of his.
Opposite to him was a man who was aged and looked decent. The man started the conversation with Vasudevan. He said, " I am Dr. Selvan. Retired surgeon from Vellore medical institute. I am on my way to Sundereswarar temple to offer pooja. What about you ?"
Vasudevan replied," I am Vasudevan, newspaper distributor in Warangal. I am also on my way to Sundereswarar temple. To offer pooja for my son who is in 12th standard."
Dr.Selvan then offers some fruits from his bag to Vasudevan.
Vasudevan refuses the fruits offered by saying," Actually my son needs all the nutrition. This is a crucial year for him. And it does not suit my persona if I eat fruits alone.".
Dr. Selvan then says," I have one daughter who is married and is in USA. My wife is no more and I lead a life shuttling between USA and India.."
Vasudevan replies,"My wife works in a MNC. She is doing well in her career. I wanted her to quit her job and take care of our son who is in crucial year. Well, she refused. She continues to work."
Dr. Selvan then observes Vasudevan shaking his head left and right.
Dr. Selvan and Vasudevan kept talking with each other. They seemed to enjoy the conversation and it suited them because it helped pass time in the train.
Suddenly the train stopped. Possibly for signal. Vasudevan could see the concrete board of the station. It was Kulikarai. A town perhaps.
Vasudevan thought of getting down and take in some fresh air. But he did not move. He thought why take a chance. The train might move. After about a minute, he again thought of getting down. Again he did not. No point. The train will move any time, he thought.
After about two minutes Vasudevan stood up and started moving towards the door. He wanted to get down to breathe in fresh air.
Suddenly the train moved. Vasudevan had his foot on the steps at that instant. He lost balance and fell inside the train. His head struck the steel door handle and he shouted, "Aiyo, aiyo".
Dr. Selvan on hearing cries, rushed towards the door. He helped Vasudevan to stand up and slowly they came back to their seats.
Dr. Selvan then said,"You have bruised your head slightly. I shall not apply anything on the bruise. However, you must eat this tablet." And he offers Vasudevan a tablet.
Vasudevan could not understand. He asked," Why a tablet when I have a minor bruise?".
Dr. Selvan replies," I have been observing you all the while. And the tablet is more important to you than an ointment for the bruise. You are suffering from high anxiety."
The train gave a whistle.

No comments: